jump to navigation

US Commander: Bush War Strategy May Take Years To Help January 8, 2007

Posted by notapundit in Military News, US News, World News.
trackback

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)–The new U.S. operational commander in Iraq said Sunday that even with the additional U.S. troops likely to be deployed in Baghdad under President George W. Bush’s new war strategy it might take another “two or three years” for U.S. and Iraqi forces to gain the upper hand in the war, The New York Times reported in its Monday editions.

The commander, Lt. Gen. Raymond T. Odierno, assumed day-to-day control of war operations last month, said much will depend on whether commanders can show enough progress to stem eroding support in the U.S. for the war.

He said he wanted the new U.S. units, working with three additional Iraqi combat brigades that Iraqi officials say will be deployed in the capital, to move back into the city’s toughest neighborhoods and show that they can “protect the people,” which he said coalition forces had previously failed to do, the Times reported.

Comments»

No comments yet — be the first.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: