jump to navigation

US Justice Department Wants Domestic Spying Lawsuit Dropped January 26, 2007

Posted by notapundit in US News.
trackback

WASHINGTON (AP)–The Bush administration is asking the courts to drop its appeal of a federal court ruling that concluded the government’s domestic spying program is unconstitutional. Its request says the issue is meaningless since the surveillance now is monitored by a secret court.

Responding, lawyers for the American Civil Liberties Union said they would continue to push for their day in court since President George W. Bush retains authority to continue the warrantless spying program.

The Justice Department’s request had been expected since last week, when Attorney General Alberto Gonzales disclosed that the secret panel of judges that oversees the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act had begun reviewing and approving applications to spy on people believed linked to al-Qaida.

The ACLU’s lawsuit against the terrorist surveillance program “is now moot,” the Justice Department wrote in a 21-page brief, filed Thursday with the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Ohio. “The surveillance activity they challenge – electronic surveillance not subject to the FISA court – does not exist.”

The Bush administration secretly launched the spy program, run by the National Security Agency, in 2001 to monitor international telephone calls and e-mails to or from the United States involving people suspected by the government of having terrorist links. The program, which did not require investigators to seek warrants before conducting surveillance, was revealed in December 2005.

Last August, a federal judge in Michigan declared the program unconstitutional, saying it violates the rights to free speech and privacy and the separation of powers. In October, a three-judge appeals panel in Ohio ruled the administration could keep the program in place as it appealed the Michigan decision.

The ACLU plans to respond Friday and will ask for the appeal to continue, said assistant legal director Ann Beeson. The watchdog group contends that Bush retains his authority to return to the warrantless program should he deem it necessary.

“The case could not be less moot,” Beeson said. “The case is not moot if there’s any remote possibility that the government is going to violate the law again.”

Comments»

No comments yet — be the first.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: